Shawrath
Shawrath asked:

Can a teenager read this book and understand it??

To answer questions about The Maltese Falcon, please sign up.
Christopher Ecord It's not a difficult or complicated read, there might be some stuff that is a bit tough to understand as far as conversational words go just because it's a bit old, but it isn't dense or anything, it's meant to be pretty easy to read. I liked it and I'd say go for it, especially if you like noir-type stuff.
Donna Peizer I read it as part of a class looking specifically at the plot and subplots.
Taylor Bullis I read this book in 8th grade as a 14 year old. Unless you are dealing with a very immature batch of teenagers, I would highly reccomend this book!
S. Daisy I read it as a teen and understood it. Warning: it does get a bit raunchy at one spot in it, which is not in the movie, and this may not be suitable for some younger teens. If I had known it was there when I read it, I probably wouldn't have.
Will Vanderwees I am currently 13 and read this book when I was ten. Any teen would be fine unless they are daft.

Mike MacDee The only remotely tough thing about reading Hammett's books is he doesn't rely on exposition: the characters suggest their thoughts, histories, and personalities through what they do and what they say, and the reader is never allowed inside their heads. As long as the teen isn't dirt stupid, they won't have any trouble following along.
Ian Anderson Yes, it is written in a straight forward way. The setting is the 1920s but that shouldn't faze most teenagers.
Dan Domanski Yes, I read this in high school and really enjoyed it.
Image for The Maltese Falcon