Julie Shaw
Julie Shaw asked Frances Mayes:

My question is how are the aging population treated over in Italy and what I am actually interested in would it be a good place for retirement in my later years. I seriously have envisioned a retirement of travel but living in England, France and never have been to Italy and always was enamored by your books and your experiences. I really am thinking of living abroad for a while when I retire.

Frances Mayes Good idea. Do try it. Living abroad stimulates the body and brain! Until you find YOUR spot, though, I'd say don't cut any cords. Old people are treated like anyone else in Italy. They are not cordoned off or thought expendable. They're still living their vibrant lives. The people I know who have retired to Italy seem happy, though I haven't done a study and I'm sure some high tail it out after a trial. I tell my family that when I'm ancient, just prop me in the piazza and bring me a prosecco.