Unmesh
Unmesh asked:

Do I need to read American Gods before I begin Anansi Boys?

To answer questions about Anansi Boys, please sign up.
Cathy I'd say no; I just finished reading Anansi Boys and didn't realize until just now that it was a sequel to American Gods. I enjoyed it thoroughly.
Dustyanne To be honest, I never knew it was a sequel. I was able to read both books and it didn't matter which order I read them, you are able to follow both easily. They are wonderful stories.
Gbolahan No. Do not bother to read American gods...
Anansi Boys is a stand-alone novel. I know people who read American gods (and hated it) and hence didn't want to read Anansi Boys. I had to beg then to not give up on the ever-so eccentric Gaiman.
Anansi Boys is the BOMB ☺
Teresa American Gods is WAY better, but I agree with Bryan, I read them in reverse order, but I think it would have been enjoyable to have read Anansi AFTER American Gods. They are completely independent stories but Anansi appears in both books (albeit he is NOT the same in each).
MARY C WILEY No. But if you're not familiar with Gaiman's writing style you've got to start somewhere.
Bryan Fischer Certainly not, but I feel that you'll appreciate this book better if you've read American Gods first.
Julia Nope. American Gods is better, in my opinion, but the books will work independently of each other.
Image for Anansi Boys
by Neil Gaiman (Goodreads Author)