Joseph Rouhana

I read this a few month ago and I loved it ! SPOILERS BEWARE !!!! I have a question though I hope somebody can answer: there is one event in this book I don't understand , as in I don't understand the meaning behind it , if there is any deep meaning that is, it's when Esther loses her virginity and starts to bleed. Can anybody shed some light to this events meaning? Thank you!

To answer questions about The Bell Jar, please sign up.
Sarah Norman
Holly Esther is very over-dramatic about everything blood-related. Remember when Marco had blood on his white suit? She is so preoccupied with it being a "stain" physically and metaphorically. It's so appalling to her that she doesn't even see colors of red, just white and black. I would say the doctor isn't treating any true ailment, but rather recognizing her reaction to the situation is uncommon, rare, and indeed a psychotic breakdown. Personally, I see many traits of Borderline Personality Disorder in these scenes. The inability of Esther to see shades of grey - just one extreme or another juxtaposed with her anxiety of men/body issues.
Prateek GOYAL I wonder what does the doctor mean when he says your case is one in a million. But he is able to treat it.
Christian Salazar she didn't like the blood either... so it deterred her from suicide.
Rachael Hughes Blood spotting occurs naturally post vicinity lost. Via gentle penis vaginal friction. Ladies x
Kathy E. I have wondered this same thing and was hoping to find an answer here!
Image for The Bell Jar