Kathy
Kathy asked:

Is this book appropriate for a 13 year old?

To answer questions about Where the Heart Is, please sign up.
C.L. Marks I read this when I was 14 and loved it. Are there some mature themes? Absolutely. I suppose it all depends on what you want your child exposed to; the comments are enlightening, but they're a mixed bag. There's always the (far less graphic) film if your daughter wants to enjoy the story as a whole.
Jessie Why not? I was eleven when I first read it and I loved it.
Janae I was 13 when I first read this novel, it was suggested by my mother. I loved it and it was one of my favorites for years.
Molly I wouldn't think it would be appropriate for a 13 year old. There is sex, violence, drugs, alcoholism, prison violence etc.
Georgia I'm 13 and I have just finished reading this book. I think it was fine and my sister read it when she was the same age as me. I loved the book and didn't think it was too inappropriate for my age. I don't think your child has to be very mature to read it, I'm definitely not a very mature 13 year old and I think it was fine. It's one of my favourite books and i think it's fine for someone my age.
Cassandra Graphic depiction of child sexual abuse.
Khrissy it depends what you want your child to read. there are a couple of "sex scenes" but its not descriptive. and there is only 2 though the whole book. but it is a very good quick read.
Alien Reader I read it when I was 12 and I loved it. I think it's suited for that age.
Marie I finally threw the book out. Maybe if I would have perservered I could have found something redeeming about the book but I found it to be too trashy. I gave up when the nurse takes in yet another "pick-up" and drags him home to add to the list of child abusers she's shacked up with. I don't want want to give my time to this kind of trash and I certainly wouldn't recommend it for a young girl. I'd want to give her some models of women with enough self respect not to allow themselves to be taken advantage of by every man who looks their way. Help your daughter to realize her own value and to recognize that she doesn't have to dish out sex In order to be accepted and worth while.
Toby Absolutely not! I would not let my mature 14 year old daughter read this! Very graphic chapter about 3/4 of the way into the book.
Kathie It depends on the 13 yr old. A mature 13 yr old yes.... otherwise I would say wait a year or two.
Image for Where the Heart Is