Jshalhov
Jshalhov asked:

I'm big into Stephen King. Favorites: Pet Sematary, IT, and Thinner (yeah I know, weird third choice. Just something Inexplicable about Thinner that I love.) I also love Four Past Midnight and The Shining. Do you think I will enjoy Straub? This novel in particular?

To answer questions about Ghost Story, please sign up.
Adrian Smith Hi Jshalhov. Yes, I'm sure you'll enjoy Straub and especially Ghost Story. It's by far his best. It's a little more literary in style than early King so you may find it slower to get going. But stick with it because it's a fantastic book. I've read it several times and I'm about to do so again because it's a tradition of mine to read it at Christmas. There are some genuinely chilling moments in the novel and the whole thing has a great claustrophobic atmosphere as the weather closes in. A true horror classic in my opinion.
SheriC (PM) Nope. As much as I enjoyed their collaboration in The Talisman and Black House, this story contains nothing to thrill SK fans. Dull characters, unscary "horror", and none of King's humor.
Melissa iorio I know this question was asked a long time ago and while I like King, his writing style isn't my favorite. Too much detail, too many "here it comes (scary teaser), then back to too much detail. I'm looking for suspense and just added this to "currently reading". Wondering if I should have chosen "Tell No One" by Harlan Coben or another, like book two of Jeffery Deavers "Lincoln Rhymes" series, "The Coffin Dancer"? "The Bone Collector " is one of my favorite Crime/Mystery/Suspense. Was hoping for creepy, scary, but would like either for a change of pace. I doubt anybody will see this at this point, but hopefully.......
Val I hope I'm not too late to save you from wasting your time on this alleged horror story. I am at a loss to understand how anyone could think this is the "scariest book" they ever read. There was absolutely nothing scary about it. Ever. Although you can tell it wanted to be scary. An author who tried WAY too hard. This book is somewhat reminiscent of "Salem's Lot" or "Something Wicked This Way Comes", either of which were scarier than this muddled drawn out mess. And better written, too. Stick with King, or Bradbury. Or the master, Poe.
Timothy Calcara I believe you will enjoy "Ghost Story", but I would recommend having access to the audiobook and following along with the text. I loved it, and I will probably pick it up again during the Halloween season. I already wrote a review on the book. You will like this book. Think "It" or "The Stand" instead of King's shorter novels like "Pet Semetary". It is nearly 600 pages and moves a bit slowly at times. If you have the patience, then it is worth it!
Mark Yes, I would recommend it to King fans. It's not much like Thinner (which I like too!) but it reminded me quite a bit of 'Salem's Lot if that's any help. The writing style is different and it may take a while to get into Ghost Story but the pace picks up and it felt very reminiscent of King, although maybe the overall tone feels more serious.
Image for Ghost Story
by Peter Straub (Goodreads Author)