Sofia
Sofia asked:

good age group for this book?

To answer questions about Love That Dog, please sign up.
Jennifer My kids were 7 and 9 when I read it to them. They totally got it and loved it. Me too.
Erin I enjoyed reading this with my 5th graders.
McKenna I think a good age group for this book is 5 - 50 years old.
LIVYDinoTamer Read it in 4th. Great story but pretty sad. I recommend 7 and up.
Claire I read it in third grade at age 7 and loved it. Reread it now at age 25 and loved it even more.
JESSICA 8 + up but read it together. the poetry format is tricky in the beginning and the references to poems that most adults will recognized won't mean anything to most younger kids.
Blessed CP I read it with my 12 year old. She had a hard time understanding the format at first, but later enjoyed the rhythm of the book. We cried through the sad parts, having experienced it ourselves. We delighted in the boy's excitement and discussed his growth as a writer and through his grief. It inspired my daughter to write some poetry herself and she did a great job.
We looked up and read all the poems referenced in the book, which was great fun.
Kay My teacher read this to my class when I was in 5th grade.
Image for Love That Dog