Abby
Abby asked Gayle Forman:

Do you have times when you just stray away from writing, like not just having the energy/creativity/even the courage to write? What do you do? Let it go for a while, or work on it because you believe something will sprout from any attempt to?

Gayle Forman Of course. There are times when the story just isn't coming. Some days I'll write through it, and other days I'll just take a break. I'm pretty diligent and fastidious so when I need a bit of a breather, I allow that for myself.

That said, when I'm in between books, I find I have to work on something, even if it's the wrong thing, for the right thing to come to me. I have what I call nurse-log novels. A nurse log is a dead tree from which new saplings can take root in all that rich decomposing soil. A nurse-log novel is a dead novel, one that I'll never publish, but that gives life to sapling books.

When it comes to writing I'm a big believer that momentum breeds momentum and inertia breeds inertia.