Danielle
Danielle asked Laurie Halse Anderson:

Hi there Laurie! I am wondering, what do you do to get into creative writing mode? Is there anything specific you do to discipline yourself to get writing and keep up with a project?

Laurie Halse Anderson Picking the right project is critical. I've started books before I really thought about them and realized 70 pages in that I didn't care about the story. It's hard to find the discipline when you are bored by your own work! So I take my time choosing the right story. I am also committed to this - I'm a professional. I know there will be days that aren't magical or when the words don't seem to want to flow, but if I gut it out through those days, the good ones appear.