Goodreads asked Laurel A. Rockefeller:

Laurel A. Rockefeller Research research research is part two to practice practice practice. Seriously, learn everything you can. If you want people to believe your stories, find your settings and characters credible then you really must ground what you write in facts. People will suspend their disbelief -- but only to a point.

Something I am notorious for doing is consulting experts so I get my facts right. For example, when one of my characters is publicly murdered by crossbow, I consulted with an ER doctor to find out exactly where the quarrel should hit him so he dies quickly but is able to say a few final words. On something like that, millimeters matter.

Ask questions. Do not assume you know it all or can get away with anything. The more accurate your details, the better the book.