Goodreads asked Chelsey Krause:

Chelsey Krause All sorts of ways. If you write, you're constantly on the look out for "things to put in a book."

I am mostly inspired by personal experiences, and stories my friends tell me.

I love asking people about their every day lives. I enjoy fishing out interesting details about their jobs, imagining the weird, wacky people they encounter every day, etc.

I ask a lot of "what if" questions. As an exercise for you aspiring writers out there, think about any book or movie that you love, and try to reduce it to one "what if" question.

If I come across a funny story, an interesting anecdote, etc. I file it away with my other "Things to Add to a Book" and review them when I write.

And, if I've had a crap day and need a laugh, or have writers block REALLY really bad, I'll read through http://www.fmylife.com/
Someone, somewhere is guaranteed to be having a worse day than you!
Not only does this put things in perspective for me, but I find that laughter also fixes my writers block.