Goodreads asked Mark Fine:

Mark Fine I have two core principles that helped me reach a satisfying conclusion to my book (and actually complete it in my lifetime!). First, similar to a photograph--better when cropped, it's crucial to bring focus to your book by narrowing the scope of the project. Have a small cast of characters, and don't name incidental players (if you do, you are destined to try and tell their story) and in this way you will not be tugged away from the core of your true narrative).

Second, write the ending for the book first! I know this seems counter-intuitive, but with a clear destination your writing will be less prone to wander. Of course, you should go back and refine the ending further as you get deeper into the project...