Goodreads asked Kathryn Reiss:

Kathryn Reiss Hello everybody! I've been an author for a long time, but i haven't done a lot on Goodreads yet, except enjoy reading everybody else's posts and get good books to add to my ever-expanding list of what to read... But I thought I'd answer a few questions I've been getting about what's going on with my most recent book. Back in 2006 my first murder mystery--BLACKTHORN WINTER--was published by Harcourt. A second murder mystery was planned, but got lost in the shuffle once Harcourt was bought by Houghton Mifflin. So that book is now in production to come out as my first ebook, and it will also have a print option. I'm excited to see MURDER AT HEATHERSTONE HALL become available at last to the nice fans who keep telling me they're waiting for it!

I got the idea for murder mysteries set in England when we were living there some years back. My husband is British and we're both college professors, so whenever there's the chance to travel in the summer or go away for a semester or a year during a sabbatical, we head to England. While I adore visiting London and other major cities in England, Scotland, and Wales, my real true love are the villages. So in both these murder mysteries I've got an American girl, Juliana, with family ties to England, getting mixed up in murder. I love stories where things that happened in the past still resonate now, like pebbles thrown into a pond send out rings that stretch on and on even when the pebble has sunk to the bottom... and in both novels Juliana stumbles on events from the past that are still playing out in the present--with dangerous consequences!