Nicole
Nicole asked Heather Demetrios:

I enjoyed both of your books a lot - I scored an ARC of I'll Meet You There, and I'm still thinking about it weeks after I finished. I was curious about the relationships your protagonists have with their moms. Do you think more readers relate to an antagonistic mom/daughter relationship or do you think this kind of relationship is part of why your leading ladies are a bit lost?

Heather Demetrios This is such a great question! It's true that my main characters tend to have challenging relationships with their mothers. It just kind of works out that way! I do think there are many teens who can relate to this. Since my protagonists are females, we're seeing them come up against their moms a lot as they try to assert their independence. I think if my books had male protagonists, they'd probably have complicated relationships with their dads. I do think Chloe, Skylar, and Nalia are a bit lost because they don't have moms who have their backs, or they have moms who have some very serious issues of their own they're dealing with, and so not as present as their daughters need them to be. I keep wanting to write a Gilmore Girls kind of relationship between mother and daughter, but so far that's not what's coming out on the page. I think there's a lot those types of relationships can offer in terms of story, too. I'm so glad you liked IMYT. The relationship between Sky and her mom is such an important part of the book. What was important to me there was showing how Sky nurtures her mom and how her mom really loves her, but she just can't seem to do right by her because of her own issues. Thanks for reading! xx