Anonymous
Anonymous asked:

How can you be in love with you brother?! OMG, that's just EW! You're supposed to love your brother, right... like a brother... not like a lover. How in the world is this book so popular?

To answer questions about Forbidden, please sign up.
Sofia I though the same thing when I was starting the book, but in this case is so understandable and just if you read it you will know why this kind of love can be or not be right. Maybe it is so popular because it has caused a lot of controversy and this book has changed my life.
Caryl Ycasas Well, if you have a brother, you'll definitely feel disgusted. I told my friend about this book. She has a brother and thinks the plot is creepy. Then she told me, "what if the book was about father and daughter love affair?" We were then both disgusted! hahaha so yeah, I think having a brother is one factor why other are hesitant to read this novel.
Lara .o. Exactly it's so disgusting how people actually fall for their siblings. And honestly, I have no idea how people think incest is okay and why this book is popular.
Daniela i personally think this book is popular becuase it's not the typical taboo love story.instead, it is a really deep story that includes a lot of aspects of their relationship not only physical attraction. i was surprised to find it so interesting. it really made me question how our identity and personality is built based on our role in the society. speacially how being born in the same famiy doesn't make two people siblins. it's the same thing with parents. genetics, blood, nature doesn't define how we feel about others it's a social process. for example, the younger children in this book can only think of Maya as their mother though they know she didn't give birth to them. we could think of others examples that are more common, if someone is abandomed as a little kid, they won't consider those people his/her parents because he/she wasn't raised by them.
Amar Farhat This book is popular because some people understand that emotions cannot be controlled. You're not supposed to love your brother but sometimes something affects that and you end up loving him beyond the sibling type of love. In this book, both are forced to raise their younger siblings because the dad walked out on the family, and the mom is busy with another man and she's barely ever sober. So, they were basically playing the role of the parents, if you think about it psychologically, that might be what promoted those emotions of love.
Plus the book has more than one message, so instead of judging. Try reading the book.
Image for Forbidden
by Tabitha Suzuma (Goodreads Author)