Goodreads asked Allison Pataki:

Allison Pataki 1. Work with people who share your vision and your priorities. This is especially important when it comes to picking your literary agent and your editor/publisher. As is the case in any relationship, you want to make sure that you and your partners are on the same page—pun intended!
2. There’s no “right way.” I cringe when people ask me “how long should it take me to write a book?” or some other question along those lines. Writing is a creative process. There are no rules and there’s no formula. I write in the mornings, others prefer to write in the middle of the night. I write with music on in the background, other people can’t write with any noise. Each writer must find the place and time and methods that work for her or his process. And that might even change from day to day or year to year. That’s OK.
3. Be kind to yourself. A first draft is just that: a draft. Don’t berate yourself when you go back and read it and realize “this isn’t actually any good.” Don’t expect perfection the first time, or the second time—or ever.