Emily
Emily asked Michael J. Sullivan:

Did you ever debate what your "author name" would be? I'm assuming the "J" is to distinguish you from other Michael Sullivans, but did you ever consider a variation of that or using a pen name?

Michael J. Sullivan Hey Emily...thanks for asking. Boy did I have a long debate about the name I write under. My Irish Catholic roots are showing, and man there are a ton of authors named Michael Sullivan. I did indeed add the J. to try to differentiate myself but even that doesn't help because there are at least 4 Michael J. Sullivan's that I know of who write!

Here are just some of the examples of the "other" Sullivans

* A mathematician that has written dozens of college text books on statistics, algebra, trigonometry, and calculus.

* An author of boy's fiction similar to the Goosebumps franchise

* The author of Necessary Heartbreak (who was using Michael J. Sullivan but now goes by Michael John Sullivan to try to keep the two of us from being confused).

* An author of eastern art books

* A sports author

* An author who writes about beer and wine

* An author who wrote about U.S. Presidents

* An author who writes about Digimon

* A non-fiction author who writes about the mentally ill and substance abuse

* An author who wrote a reference book about Clinical Denestry

* An author who writes about Russian History

* An author who writes about Political and International Relations

So yes, when I finally got published I had to think long and hard about what name I should do it under. At the end of the day, I've always wanted to be a writer and in some deluded portion of my mind I hoped that my name would be remembered once I was gone. So, ultimately I went with keeping the name my parents bestowed on me. If search engines can be believed, I've pretty much risen to dominate that name from a writing perspective, and even hold my own with the Michael Sullivan who was a former U.S. District Attorney and Director of the ATF. It's a tough name to stand out with, but it's mine so I'm going to keep it.