John
John asked:

Do you have to read 'Pride and Prejudice' by Jane Austen first before you read this book or is it unnecessary?

To answer questions about Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, please sign up.
Phillippa Silverlock I don't think so. I think you can treat this as a stand alone book. If you read the original first it's easier to spot the little in jokes and the satire of the period it's set in I suppose, but the plot is easy to follow without prior knowledge and there's enough violence etc to keep you interested.
Amanda While you don't absolutely need to, I would highly recommend it. It makes all the little nuances of the plot and interactions between characters that much more enjoyable!
Dina It is necessary to read the original first. Truly
Amanda Bredenkamp I would definitely recommend reading the original first, since this is a parody, and I personally would not have caught the humour had I not known the original almost off by heart.
Sara I read this first because of the zombies. Then decided I should check out the original (as I do with movie adaptations usually) for better depth of character. It definitely was not necessary to read the original to understand what's going on in the zombie version. I saw the movie first maybe, the Kiera Knightly/Matthew Macfadyen version...

I can say the the zombie version was better. At least everyone had a purpose then. The horror elements made things a bit more exciting. The original makes things a bit slower but more emotional.
Kennedy I think it would be best to read the original last because this book is written so much more simple and strays from the original character personalities. It's really frustrating to read after having read the classic because it seems so bland in comparison and although it's supposed to be humorous, is just plain frustrating.
Bret Hann No! definitely not a requirement. In fact, I really recommend doing it the other way around. Read this book first then read 'Pride and Prejudice' by Jane Austen.

Its much more fun recognising the "in Jokes" after the fact so to speak.
Rica Castillo Well, you'd feel the whole thing more if you read pride and prejudice already but i guess it's okay to read it without reading the original.
Brittany Russell It is not required, but I watched the movie to get a grasp of the characters a little more easily. It helped quite a bit.
Goldenwattle No need to read the original first. Enjoy this book for what it is. I certainly did.
Tammy No need to read anything first. If you are the type that has avoided reading the classics, there's enough action to keep you entertained. It's a fun read if you need to get away for awhile
Violet Skye i have both and am torn, but lean toward a greater agreement with Phillipa's response, John!
Image for Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
by Seth Grahame-Smith (Goodreads Author)