Fata Morgana
Fata Morgana asked:

I would like to know whether the movie is worth watching or if it's too different from the novel?

Melissa I saw the movie first and always thought it was excellent. However, I enjoyed the book so much I have read it at least twice now. They are different enough that both deserve repeat read/watches. Most of the time I think the books are better than the movies but this is really a toss up. I love them both.
Virginia The movie is just as good as the book, but in a totally different way. They are quite different.
Miquel Reina Fried Green Tomatoes is one of my favorite movies of all times, and although it doesn't follow exactly the same plot as the book it's definitely worth it! I have to admit that I prefer the plot of the movie than the book!
Sean E.D. Kerr The movie is WAY, WAY, WAY better than the book. They are incredibly different. Almost every storyline is handled differently in the movie and several book characters either don't exist in the movie or have way smaller roles.
Alexandria Orlando The movie is definitely worth watching! It is different from the book, but I believe that it is a good different. Keep in mind however that when you do watch it, that it is a movie (so it has a limited amount of time to explain/show everything), so there will be a number of things/characters that are cut out altogether.
Lori Tomaselli Like Melissa, I saw the movie first then read the book. Usually the book is always better, but this movie was excellent and different from the book. Anything written by Fannie Flagg is going to be good. She is one of my favorite writers. A reviewer of my book said I reminded her a little of Fannie Flagg. I took that as a huge compliment. See the movie for sure.
MaryAlice It has been many years since I watched the movie. It is basically the same as the novel, minor changes and as Alexandria said, characters left out. It is worth watching.
Michelle I have not read the book YET, but the movie is so wonderfully done. I love the richness of the characters and the way it's done is just so, so good!
G.L. Morrison The book is much, much better than the movie. But the movie is good and better to see before reading the book. The casting is wonderful, the acting delicious and the movie is well paced. But the overt racism in what and who is erased from the movie is maddening. I watched the movie ten times before I read the book (and shared it with everyone I know) but haven't been able to watch it since.
Cheri Langdell Yes, absolutely! I loved the film! See it!
Jim Haven't read the book ... yet. so can't compare it with the excellent film.
Image for Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe