Becky Black
Becky Black asked Josh Lanyon:

Hi, Josh With Fair Play coming out it reminded me of something I've wondered about before - was any particular reason you didn't write Fair Game in 1st person, since it's all in Elliot's POV? Do you ever think back and wish you had done it in first? Though it's great just as it is, I'm sure it would have been great in first too, since you're so good at creating a distinctive first person narrative voice.

Josh Lanyon Hi Becky,

Great question. There were two reasons I chose not to do first person POV in the All's Fair trilogy.

The first reason was I intended to write a classic FBI romance thriller -- only with gay characters. And those books are almost never written from first person POV.

But the second reason was that one of the big obstacles to Elliot and Tucker's relationship was their inability to communicate clearly to each other. I wanted the reader squarely on Elliot's side through the first part of the book, seeing and feeling everything from Elliot's perspective (only to then have the jolt of realizing that Elliot's perspective was off-kilter) but at the same time I also wanted there to be a little distance between narrator and reader.

Elliot is more brusque and less humorous than many of my narrators. He's more analytical -- I don't want to say cold because he's not cold, but he's also not emotional or romantic. He's very typical of a lot of people (male and female) in law enforcement. And it seemed easiest to convey that through a single third person POV.

I hope that makes sense!