A Goodreads user asked Andy Weir:

I loved the book. Really. My question is were you worried that the book would be a bit "too much" in terms of technical detail and such for the average person? I like that it isn't just log entries and there's a narrative because it breaks things up somewhat, but was the narrative added later to break things up? Or was it always part of the plan to have more characters and another POV?

Andy Weir It was a constant concern for me. I would say it was the biggest challenge, making the reader understand all the science without boring them.

I originally planned for the whole story to be Mark's log entries. But as it progressed, it became clear there was just no way NASA wouldn't notice he was still alive. So I had to show what was going on there.
Andy Weir