Susan
Susan asked Josi S. Kilpack:

The recipes in your books are all so wonderful... are they yours and if not, where do you get all them? Do you test them out to make sure they work? When did you know you were a writer? Thanks!

Josi S. Kilpack Several of the recipes are my own--ones I've cooked for years and was able to weave into a story. I found other recipes that fit the stories as I went and with the help of my test kitchen was able to get them just right. The test kitchen came about after Lemon Tart, which wasn't intended as a culinary mystery until my publisher suggested including the recipes that Sadie made or talked about in the story. I tested those recipes myself but it made me nervous because everyone cooks a little different. So, I put out a request on my blog to see if there were any cooks who would be willing to help me develop the recipe portion of the books and had a really good response. I ended up going with the first eight and five of them stayed through the whole series. Six others participated at different times and they were PRICELESS. I could never have made the series work without their help. They made each recipe at least twice, giving feedback that helped hone the ingredients or processes and adjustments for allergies or preferences. They were all across the country too which helped us figure out things like elevation. As for when did I know I was a writer--when I finished my first book. Up until it was done I was distracting myself from bedrest and enjoying this process, it wasn't until the book was finished that I realized how "right" it felt. :-) Thanks for your questions!