Yvonne O'connor
Yvonne O'connor asked Alan Bradley:

Where do you draw inspiration for the beautiful covers of the Flavia books? I love how these look on my bookshelf!

Alan Bradley Thanks, Yvonne! The cover of "The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie" was designed by the incredible Joe Montgomery, who chose an acid green color in the days when the publishing mantra was: "don't ever - EVER! - publish a book with a green cover."

Since then, the "jellybean colors", as I have heard them called, have become so distinctive that readers assure me they can spot a new Flavia novel from across the store.

Watch for the new Flavia eBook, too: "The Curious Case of the Copper Corpse". Even though eBooks don't have material covers, this one is black! Black Beauty? You betcha!