Goodreads asked Zara Steen:

Zara Steen I'm working on Blue Moon Rising, the sequel to Heart of Shell, so part of the book details I already knew before I started writing. However, the inspiration for the continuation of this series has been inspired by multiple things. I often find walks near water help me get into the mind of the characters.

Visualization is a key part of my process too. I run through multiple scenarios as if I was each of the characters and I ask myself a lot of questions to uncover the personal stories of Merrick and Anya. By creating their actions and events, I'm able to clearly see what fits into the plot. The more I ask, the better I have an idea of what feels right to them and to me as the author.