Patricia Washburn
Patricia Washburn asked Nick Harkaway:

Would you ever write a novel with a female protagonist?

Nick Harkaway Yes. Absolutely, yes. And in fact the new book essentially does have a female protagonist, although that's made murky by the protean nature of the story. I basically tossed a coin to see whether I wrote this book or another one which also had a female lead and was more unambiguous and - frankly - easier. I ended up doing the hard one because if you're not frightened of your new project you're coasting and people can tell when they read it.

Edie Banister, of course, is the closest I've come so far. Edie is overwhelmingly strong as a presence in Angelmaker given the relatively small percentage of the book that actually belongs to her, but part of that is because she has an Obiwan role: she gets to know everything and do anything because the resolution of the problem central to the book belongs to the main (male) protagonist, but as with the other characters so too with Edie: there's a dynastic succession going on, a passing of the awesome torch. And interestingly, Edie's the only one who gets a prequel, and the one I might tell more stories about...
Nick Harkaway