Goodreads asked Nick Harkaway:

Nick Harkaway In the street. I was standing in front of a locksmith's cubby in an old part of town, and suddenly I saw a branching set of possibilities. I'd been reading a LOT of Borges, some other strange, heavily textured stuff, and I found myself dictating chunks of prose into my phone to transcribe later. And then I had to stop because I was editing Tigerman! But now... here we are.

That moment of ZOINK! BOOK! is often very bolt-of-lightning, and it's tempting to see it as some kind of irreducible mystical event, but actually it tends to be a collision of ideas that fuses a whole load of things together and produces a universe, a basic notion, and a tone. I go from there.
Nick Harkaway