Keith
Keith asked:

what is a boombacloth?

Cathy Vincevic There are so many bumbclot references in this book I almost found myself using the term. I looked it up on Urban Dictionary:

bumbaclot
A cloth or rag used to wipe ones anal region. However, most Jamaicans use it as a substitute for the word f*ck to express anger or surprise.
Bumbaclot! Dem tek mi rolex and mi new links!!
Jason Think bum cloth (toilet paper). Similar to (r)asscloth, which is also used throughout the novel. Bloodcloth, also used, is probably maxipads.
Ann Marie This proves my point, a dirty word is only dirty in the cultural context. I am Jamaican born and I find our "dirty words" are dirty and American "dirty words" are funny. go figure
Karlies DesignStudios A comment really for anyone reading this book and want more understanding read The unauthorised guide to A brief History.... By Karl Dallas.
bananya bumbaclot? deragatory jamaican slang/curse word. i have heard the etymology comes from what women used prior to tampons.
Melissa HA, I didn't know either. I was definitely googling a lot of words! I also enabled the narrated version on my kindle so that could really immerse myself in the patois. I'm enjoying the departure & experience so far.
Image for A Brief History of Seven Killings