Sam Byford
Sam Byford asked Katharine Kerr:

I own all the Deverry books and love them all. I LARP and my long lived character, (also in RPGs) is called Nevyn (Swiftarrow). Thank you for providing me with a ton of ideas over the years and many hours of great reading. My question: Did you originally envisage your story running to quite so many books, or had you thought it would just be that first set?

Katharine Kerr Sam, I originally thought I was writing a short story. A version of that now forms the last chapter of Volume 6. Talk about not knowing what you're getting into!!! I kept asking myself questions such as, how did these people get to the inn on the borderlands, and what lies on either side of this border? I kept scribbling pieces of story until finally Nevyn appeared. At that point the structure of the whole thing dropped into place, but I foolishly thought I was writing a trilogy. :-)