A Goodreads user asked Dan Brown:

Do all of your stories take place in the same world? I know the Robert Langdon ones do, but are the others happening in his world too?

Dan Brown I enjoy writing books set in the real world because I’ve always enjoyed researching real places and real issues (overpopulation, genetic engineering, Vatican politics, and so forth). The fiction I enjoy most is that in which the characters teach me something about the world in which we live. For this reason, all of my novels, including the non-Langdon books, are set in the real world and in present day. If you’ve read Inferno, then you know that the world was left in a drastically changed state at the end of the novel; this is something I intend to address in future books.
Dan Brown