A Goodreads user asked Tish Thawer:

I am about 2/3 of the way into writing my first novel. I am doing it through a publishing package. Would you recommend doing a different way for me second book? How do you promote your book on amazon once it's published? Would you recommend sexy images or abstract images for the cover? Is there a good formula for picking the right title? And good general advice for me?

Tish Thawer Hi, Kristina!

Every author's journey is different. If using a publishing package works for you, and you enjoy that process, then I'd say stick with it. If you are more inclined to learn the behind-the-scenes process of self-publishing, i.e.: doing it all yourself, then take the time to learn the ins and outs of each step, and go for it. You could also submit your work to small press publishers, usually without needing representation. Or, you can send inquiries to agents in order to try your hand at a obtaining a traditional publishing contract. There are so many options out there, you just have to find what works best for you.

Promoting/Marketing your book usually starts before it's published with cover reveals, author interviews, ARCs (Advance Reader Copies) etc., then continues into blog tours and events after the release. This is also something that takes time to find what works best for you. Try whatever appeals to you and take note of how well it worked or didn't. First and foremost, however, you need to have an author platform established so you can gain a fan-base through these promotions. FB, Twitter, a website and/or blog, etc. Your fans need to know where to find you!

As for your cover, it would depend on the genre and target audience as to the best design. Adult Romance covers typically have a hot couple on the front, while an Urban Fantasy may feature a more stylized image of just the heroine. A YA or NA (Young Adult or New Adult) could be abstract or feature the characters, either is common. Research for books that are similar to yours and find a common theme as a starting point.

A title can come to an author in many different ways. Your publisher can choose the best title for you after reading the manuscript. Or in my case, I woke from a dream with the title of my first book fully formed in my head. You can also write the book in its entirety and the title may jump out at you during a specific scene. I'm sure there's a formula out there for picking the best title, but I, for one, choose to go with my gut!

General advice: Keep asking questions and doing your research. Knowledge is power.

Thanks for the questions.

*Please note: All answers are based on my personal experience and should be taken as my opinion only.*