Nate Hodges
Nate Hodges asked Gillian Flynn:

You seem to have a preference and a talent for writing from the perspective of broken women who work against their brokenness as they solve the problems in your stories. Your men are interestingly written also, but the heart of Sharp and Dark seems to come from the p.o.v of the women. What was the process like to do that from a man's perspective in Gone Girl and how was it different from that of your other books?

Gillian Flynn Hi Nate,
I knew from the beginning Gone Girl would start from the man's point of view and initially the whole first part was written entirely from Nick's point of view. It wasn't difficult for me to write from a man's perspective. For one thing, Nick has my basic biography: We are both kids from MIssouri who went to New York (with a bit of a chip on our shoulders) to break into magazine writing; we both wrote about pop culture (I was on staff at Entertainment Weekly for 10 years) and we both got laid off. I wrote Gone Girl in the few years after my layoff from EW and I channeled all my angst directly into Nick.
I also made sure I never treated the idea of writing Nick as "writing like a guy." I think that leads nowhere good—you can tell when authors are uncomfortable writing from the point of view of the opposite gender. It feels like they're trying too hard. I wrote Nick from the point of view of Nick and who he was, rather than Nick the Guy.
thanks,
Gillian
Gillian Flynn