Kyle
Kyle asked Michael J. Sullivan:

Hi, Michael- I emailed you about problems accessing The Dark Room. Is this the place to ask how to fix it? Thanks!

Michael J. Sullivan Well a few things about this question. First to Kyle, I'm glad we got everything figured out and that you are now able to get into the Dark Room. For others who may have problems. I'm not 100% sure of all the problems but it usually plays out like this.

I send a link to a person, they click on it, it says "This group is private". I "think" there is an issue with the "goodreads app" so if you try to click on the link from your smart phone, it doesn't work. But if you click on it from your computer it works just fine. There may be "other" ways people get into this problem, but that seems to be one of the ways/reasons.

Second, people might be wondering, "What is the Dark Room?" Well for anyone who has read my Riyria books, the Dark Room is Royce and Hadrian's meeting place which is an old storage room at The Rose and the Thorn Tavern. Only members of Riyria are allowed entrance.

In regards to goodreads, the Dark Room is a secret, private group. Secret means that it doesn't show up on anyone's "Groups" list. Any any comments made from within the group doesn't go out to your feeds. So only people in the group can see what you've said. Also, there is the understanding that "What happens in the Dark Room, stays in the Dark Room."

Private, means that you need an invite to get into it...and since it won't show up in the list of groups, the only way you know that it exists, is if someone tells you about it.

One of the cool things about the Dark Room, is I can talk about things there that I can't talk publicly about. For instance, people in the Dark Room hear about release dates before other people, and get to see covers in their developmental stage before they are "officially released." Also the Dark Room is my "go to place" for finding beta readers. I think of members of the Dark Room as my "hardcore" readers and as such give them extra perks like exclusive giveaways and such.

So...if you are reading this, you are probably already one of my followers, or pretty interested in my writing in general. So, if you would like an invitation to the Dark Room, just message me here. Or send me an email (link in my author profile page). We'd love to have you there....and remember...shhh it's a secret. ;-)