Goodreads asked David H. Millar:

David H. Millar I put myself in the category of "aspiring writer" so I am more often than not looking for advice rather than giving it. I have learned a few lessons so far such as writing the book is just the first step - no one will read it unless you promote and market it and the marketplace can be very confusing.
My novels have a historical theme, Conall: Rinn-Iru treads a fine line between historical fact and mythology due to its time period. But books need a high level of research - social, culture, geography, flora, fauna etc. I spend a lot of time reading archaeology books!
Also, writers need to know how to write - a book that is always on my desk is Strunk & White, The Elements of Style. For good advice on social media, the new book by Kristen Lamb - Rise of the Machines is a great read.