S.A. Lusher
S.A. Lusher asked S.D. Perry:

What exactly happened with the RE novels? I originally assumed there was some great time lapse, but your final novel came out in '04 and RE4 came out in '05. Did they just...stop talking to you? Did Capcom give an actual reason why they didn't ask you to continue the novelizations? It's all really confusing, given the success of the other 7 novels and the franchise as a whole.

S.D. Perry Simon & Schuster only had the publishing rights for a few years, during which they hired me to write the books... I don't think Capcom liked them, although I never heard any specifics. My editor said that they weren't fans of the stuff I made up, that wasn't in any game. Anyway, when Capcom got the rights back, they decided not to publish any more. My editor moved to a different publisher, and another company "leased" the rights and re-issued the whole set a few years back. I didn't even know about the re-issue, until I saw one of the books at the grocery store. Anyhoo, the royalties ran out a long time ago, and I don't own any of the material, since it was all work for hire, so no one tells me anything.:) Sorry to ramble! In short, I guess I'm saying, "I don't know what happened exactly."
S.D. Perry
657 followers