Zainab
Zainab asked:

In what way is this play a tragedy?

To answer questions about A Doll's House, please sign up.
Petite Clementine I don't believe this book can easily be classified as a complete, straightforward tragedy, but its realism indicates that the supposed ending won't end with the reunion or remarriage of Nora and Torvald. By its very nature, this is tragic; Nora and Torvald loved each other for eight years, all children need their mothers, and so on with all the other pitfalls that arise from Nora leaving Torvald. Furthermore, that such a sham of marriage occurred for so long is also quite pitiable. Nora is often a deceptive person (she lies over the simplest things only to avoid confrontation), and Torvald can most succinctly be characterized as patronizing and inane. Nora is wholly dependent on Torvald; she knows how to do, literally, nothing. Torvald, in turn, feels that a woman's role is to beautify the home, and basically act as a trophy wife. As Nora proclaims around the end of the play, they never truly had a serious discussion. Their marriage was centered on pretty spurious ideals, and not on love itself. This, in itself, is a tragedy.

Of course, this is simply my take on the so-called tragic aspect of the story, and I may be completely wrong. Hopefully I was able to help though! :)
Mero Osama
Image for A Doll's House