Is this book an example of fantasy for adults? I have been trying to find more fantasy after reading all the Robin Hobb and George R R Martin available, moved on to stuff like Eddings/ Feist/ Jordan and it is rubbish in comparison. On the search for some quality fantasy that has actual characters and a decent plot, help would be much appreciated :)

To answer questions about The Black Company, please sign up.
Sarah If you've never read the Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss I highly recommend it. One of the best fantasy series I've ever read!!!
Max I'd recommend sticking around for the later books of the Wheel of Time series, even if you didn't quite enjoy the first book(s). The final three books number among the best fantasy books I have ever read.

Other than that, I second Sanderson (Way of Kings), Rothfuss (Name of the Wind), and Erikson (Malazan book of the fallen).
Aaron Hossain I would recommend anything by Joe Abercrombie for adult fantasy.
Alina This isn't half bad but try reading Steven Erikson's 10 volume epic "Malazan Book of the Fallen" or anything/everything by Joe Abercrombie. The latter makes even GRR Martin pale in comparison to his genius.
Zachariah Brandon Sanderson's The Stormlight Archive is also pretty epic. As well as his Mistborn trilogy.
Brad Hughes The First Law Series by Joe Abercrombie
Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susannah Clarke
The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss
The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher (which is urban fantasy)
The Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold
The Broken Empire by Mark Lawrence
Keith Chris below recommends Mark Lawrence- totally agree. very adult fantasy. Prince of thorns is fantastic.

Max Recommended sticking with the wheel of time a bit longer. He is right. It gets darker as it goes along and our characters mature. Also something happens to make boring long journeys less frequent. To be honest it's the best fantasy I've read, even above GOT, but that's just my opinion. Admittedly not quite as adult as GOT.

Richard Morgan has a book called The Steel Remains. Very dark. He does not shy away from the darker aspects of human characters and there are no clichéd paragons of good or evil in that book.

I didnt like the kingkiller chronicles by Patrick Rothfus personally, I found the main character too arrogant.

Tad Williams: Memory, Sorrow and Thorn are recommended below. Totally agree, Tad Williams is a fantastic writer.

I'm now on the Malazan Empire by Steven Erikson, and I'm enoying it.
When im done with that I'll move to the books by Joe Abercrombie, seems to be alot of love for him!
Xavyr Drake Yes, if you like G.R.R work you well like this series, though it is a bit more action based.
Also in regards to the other answer I would not recommend and of Joe Abercrombie's work despite trying to be dark and gritty its cartoonist characters and its main focus on teenage to early 20s characters make it feel like you're reading eragon or The Legend of Drizzt.
Lee Franklin The Black Company is an example of military fantasy. It tells the story in an "In the trenches" fashion of a very dark war, and in the way of soldiers. To a soldier war is war, and surviving is one more day of war. I've never read anything quite like this series. And yes, it is for adults.
Sergiu Bruchental I recommend the work of Joe Abercrombie The first Law trilogy and the other standalone books
Chris Reynolds Look up Mark Lawrence's Broken Empire series, starting with Prince of Thorns. Fantastic work.

He has a new series out as well in a different setting, Red Sister. I thoroughly recommend that one, too.
Andrew ...rubbish?? really?
Saul the Heir of Isauldur Gormenghast Trilogy by Mervyn Peake

Memory, Sorrow and Thorn by Tad Williams

Magician series by Raymond E. Feist

Virtually anything by Michael Moorcock (he's very sword and sorcery with sci-fi, steampunk, multiverse added in for fun)

Lord of the Rings, obviously, if you haven't read it.

Guy Gavriel Kay's Fionavar Tapestry. The first book is The Summer Tree.
Mathew I've read this entire series and it is great. I loved every book. It is like a previous poster says a military in the trenches story. Look up Glen Cook and read his history before becoming an author and you can really understand what is meant by this comment. There is no filter and no sugar coating anything. War is Hell.
MegaSolipsist The final three books of the Wheel of Time series were finished by Brandon Sanderson, and although his books tend towards YA as much as adult, anything he writes is solid gold, especially the Stormlight Archives.
Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen is a brilliant fantasy series, although you need to pay attention to what happens, as it's basically A Song Of Ice And Fire on crystal meth.
I've heard Brent Weeks is very good at dark fantasy, although I haven't read anything of his yet.
Yesenia CJ Cherryh's Faded Sun was very entertaining; Stephen King wrote very interesting sci-fi; Ursula LeGuin too...
Raven Amos This is an interesting question and there would be no answer to satisfy everyone. It feels like asking 'Who is the strongest super hero?' and you will get tons of answer. All of those answers are correct and wrong at the same time. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Glen Cook is one of my most favorite writers who creates the Military Fantasy. Below is a list of my favorite authors, you might wanna give them a poke.
--------------
George R. R. Martin
Brandon Sanderson
Patrick Rothfuss
Joe Abercrombie
Jim Butcher
Lois McMaster Bujold
Mark Lawrence
David Gemmell
Raymond E. Feist's Magician series is good but not recommend the following...
Ian I hear you on the trash of Eddings and Jordan. They got lazy fast.

Look into Gene Wolfe, specifically the The Book of the New Sun series. My favorite part in that is that the narrator lies in his story, so look for the inconsistencies.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6...
Ross Drew Joe Abercrombys First Law trilogy and Stephen Lynchs Gentleman Bastard series are hugely better. Other commonly quoted adult fantasy I've found a bit dull, Robin Hobbs Assasin and the Fool series was ok but a little emo, Wheel of Time is just Lord of the Rings ripoff, rambling nonsence and Malazan Book of the Fallen was ok, just a bit long winded with a expensive and hard to grasp universe. I hate the oh so ridiculous Pratchet/Gaiman/Adams style of writing but others seem to love it.
Ole C John Gwynne! and David Gemmell, if you like heroic fantasy. Terry Pratchetts Discworld is also highly recommended. Brent Weeks Night Angel trilogy. Rothfuss is good, but steer well clear of "the slow regard of..."
Gregg Shevill I would also recommend Joe Abercrombie. His books are some of my favourites.
Mark Maxfield An old question, so maybe this response is futile........

First--and it must be said--calling Jordan "rubbish in comparison" is proof you belong in prison (just kidding...).

So...I would recommend "The Fionavar Tapestry" (The Summer Tree, The Wandering Fire and The Longest Road) by Guy Gavriel Kay...brilliant writing.

I agree with you that Robin Hobb's books are terrific...but I definitely think Jordan's Wheel of Time is better.
Mike Have you tried Stephen R. Donaldson's Chronicles of
Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever?
Shaun Carter you can readthis series online for free at
onlinereadforfree
Richard kadrey
sandman slim series
Shane Duquette I think Guy Gavriel Kay, Lois McMaster Bujold, and R Scott Bakker compare well with Robin Hobb. They have that same slower pace, taking the time to build a beautiful world, deep characters, societies that feel real, and a complex plot that reeks of genuine human nature.

Kay and Bujold feel more like Robin Hobb, whereas Bakker feels more like GRR Martin, I find.
Shawn Braden I would recommend This book, and some other Sanderson books.
James Yes I would say it is for adults because kids would definitely get bored after reading two sentences. The way he writes does not tell the story well and sometime I find it hard to understand what's going on. The text is presented as if it's someone's journal but not an exciting one. Yes, yes, it depicts the realism of military men doing their jobs but this sort of tone is better suited for a film.
Terri R Scott Bakker - The Darkness That Comes Before. I have the same problem. This to me was the best after GGRRM but very dark and very violent, however, the writing is impeccable and its quite a different kind story.
Image for The Black Company