María
María asked:

In what order should I read the series?

To answer questions about The Magician's Nephew, please sign up.
Stephen Hayes Start with "The Lion, the witch and the wardrobe". End with "The last battle". Read Prince Caspian; The Voyage of the Dawn Treader; The Silver Chair in that order. Read The Magican's Nephew and The Horse and his Boy anywhere between the first and the last.

Paul The order in which they were published is the order that will make the most sense:

1. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
2. Prince Caspian
3. Voyage of the Dawn Treader
4. The Silver Chair
5. The Horse and His Boy
6. The Magician's Nephew
7. The Last Battle

LWW is written like the first book in a series, and there are elements at the end of Magician's Nephew that depend on you already knowing the content of LWW. Prince Caspian, Dawn Treader and Silver Chair are all direct sequels to Wardrobe. It honestly mystifies me why anyone would prefer to read the books out of the published order, but I guess to each his/her own.
The Witch Woman For me, the series is best read as: The Magician's Nephew; The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe; The Horse and His Boy; Prince Caspian; The Voyage of the Dawn Treader; The Silver Chair; and The Last Battle.

That means, that you should read "The Magicans Nephew" first.

(I, myself, read in this order...)
Cori Hallock I recommend starting with the The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. You can easily follow the plot in The Magician's Nephew without having read the other books, but you won't get as much out of it. The Magicians' Nephew was written to answer questions you won't have until you've spent some time with the world and magic of Narnia.
Emma Birrell Definitely start with The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Finish with The Last Battle. I personally like to read The Magician's Nephew just after Lion, as it gives background to the book. It spoils Lion to read Magician's Nephew first. The Horse and his Boy takes place "during" Lion, so it makes sense to read it after, but it doesn't really matter when you read it as long as it's after Lion. Prince Caspian, Voyage and Silver Chair need to be read in order, and you need to read Last Battle last of all.
Tayler K I prefer the Chronological Order which puts all the events of the books in the order they happened for the characters:
The Magician's Nephew (this is truly a prequel though, so you could read it after the others)
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
The Horse and His Boy
Prince Caspian
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
The Silver Chair
The Last Battle
Jez Keighley Disagree with TWW : I would read them like this.
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe; The Magician's Nephew; The Horse and His Boy; Prince Caspian; The Voyage of the Dawn Treader; The Silver Chair; and The Last Battle.

It's also possible to read in the order : The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe; ; Prince Caspian; The Voyage of the Dawn Treader; The Silver Chair; The Magician's Nephew; The Horse and His Boy and The Last Battle.
Mikey Personally, I think, if you've never read the series before, I'd recommend publication order. Start with "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe." That's where it really begins. The rest of the books build on that magic from there.
Caesar Personally I had already seen the animated and film adaptations of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe before reading this book, but I'm now glad I read The Magician's Nephew first of the books since it takes place before the rest. This was not the order they were published, but I even wish I'd read this book before seeing The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe in order to get more insight on where things in Narnia came from and exactly who Jadis was before becoming the self-appointed "queen" of Narnia.
Kim Wester if you buy a version where all the books are bound in one this is the order:
The Magician's Nephew; The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe; The Horse and His Boy; Prince Caspian; The Voyage of the Dawn Treader; The Silver Chair; and The Last Battle. so therefor I'd recommend reading it in this order
Matthew Richey Obviously there are many options on how to read the series and no one way is the "right way" but I read this series to my sons once a year (there are still quite young, but love it) and this is the order I read them:
The Magicians Nephew
The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe
Prince Caspian
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
The Silver Chair
The Horse and His Boy
The Last Battle

I like this order because you get the beginning of Narnia first, but preserve the narrative arc and characters consistency provided from LWW through SC. I think reading Horse and His Boy in between LWW and PC breaks the flow of the books and is best read as a stand alone novel. I feel like this order gives you the best of both the published order and the chronological order. My opinion is read LWW, PC, VDT, and SC in that order and plug in HAHB afterwards, MN either before or after, and finish with LB (at least everyone agrees on that I think).
Margeau The order that they were published don't reflect when they happen chronologically. So it's up to you, but in chronological order they go Nephew, Wardrobe, Horse, Caspian, Voyage, Chair, Battle. That makes the most sense to me personally.
Hope McPherson
Rachael The way they were read to me as a child was as such:-

1. The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe
2. The Magician's Nephew
3. The Horse and His Boy
4. Prince Caspian
5. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
6. The Silver Chair
7. The Last Battle

I loved hearing all the little revealing moments in Magician's Nephew that answered some questions about The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe which would not have had the same impact if I'd read them truly chronologically.

I'm reading them now to my 8 year old son and we started in the same way. We're just about to start The Horse and His Boy which I'm trying to stay enthusiastic about because I enjoy the series, but that particular book, not so much.
Deryk Allan You need to start with the magicians nephew otherwise there's no back story for the LW&W, this is essential to understand the plot.
Joshua These 5 can be read in release order:

1. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
2. Prince Caspian
3. Voyage of the Dawn Treader
4. The Silver Chair
7. The Last Battle

The difficulty arises with The Horse and His Boy and The Magician's Nephew, which were the 5th and 6th books published, but are respectively a midquel and prequel to LWW. The Horse and His Boy deals with the adult Pevensies' adventures in Narnia, and The Magician's Nephew deals with Digory Kirke's (the Professor in LWW) previous encounter with Narnia as a child, as well as showing how Narnia itself was first created, and how the White Witch was inadvertently brought to Narnia. But LWW is really supposed to be read first.
bowen First time in publication order, reread feel free to read in chronological order.
Image for The Magician's Nephew