Goodreads asked Caddy Rowland:

What’s the best thing about being a writer?

Caddy Rowland Hopefully causing people to think, or at least feel and react. I write books that push boundaries, that show you life decisions aren't black & white, but mostly shades of grey. My books cause strong feelings, both positive and negative and that's okay. I don't want to write bland stories. As a reader, make me laugh, cry, cringe, understand, piss me off, but don't bore me. As a writer, I hope to do the same for others.

My stories aren't for everyone. Many are dark and raw, with strong language, graphic sex and violence. Very often the sex isn't for titillation. Sex can be many things: abuse of power, a struggle to have power, a misguided way to feel loved.

Also, my novels are usually character driven, and have a lot of internal dialog. If a reader is expecting formula writing, with a clear cut story arc and all kinds of action they will be disappointed. I don't depend on things blowing up or people being shot at for my plots. I also "tell" instead of "show" many times. That's what omniscient POV is, but many people have never read that writing style and don't get it or are too impatient for it. Yes, I know the current saying, "Show, don't tell." However, I also know the saying "Tell me a story". That's what I do, but you need to be patient and immerse yourself, trust me, and let me take you somewhere. It probably won't be a pretty place, but you'll feel. Read between the lines. Think. "Make me think. Make me feel." That's what I strive for.

People who prefer their stories single layered, without deeper meaning, won't necessarily enjoy my work. Don't get me wrong. I don't use obscure words or write paragraphs of nonsensical whimsey. But I do tell it "real" and my characters aren't without major warts. Sometimes they never change. Abuse of power and the struggle of those without power are major themes of mine.

Readers who only read for escape and to feel happy are not generally my readers. As a reader I dislike light stories, predictable characters, and fluffy, "happy happy" stuff. So why would I write it? No matter what genre I write, it will always be a drama. That's why my tagline is "Novels showcasing the sublime joy and bitter tragedy of being human".