Julie
Julie asked Liane Moriarty:

Hello Liane, how much are your characters influenced by the people around you? Do you see yourself in any of your characters? Thanks for the answer! Julia

Liane Moriarty Hi Julia,
I'm definitely influenced by the people around me, especially when it comes to dialogue - whenever I'm speaking to my mother I always start writing down little things that she says ('laughter is so good for the digestion!') but she has never appeared in one of my books! By the time I'm finished I always feel like the characters are very different from anyone I know (although that doesn't stop people from insisting they recognise themselves). And yes, I'm sure I put some parts of myself into my characters. Only the really likeable ones of course. Not the villains.
Liane Moriarty