Michelle Garrett
Michelle Garrett asked S.J. Watson:

When you were writing BIGTS did you find it easy to stay focused on the story, or did you discover a few subplots or meanderings that you needed to cut in order to stay focused? And if you had to make cuts, did you save those for a future work?

S.J. Watson Hi. I wrote Before I Go to Sleep without too much of a plan. I wanted to leave things loose so that I could explore any avenues as they opened up, but of course that did mean that I ended up meandering and writing scenes that I then had to cut. And yes, I saved everything, although I doubt they'll ever be used. Even so I don't consider them a waste of time as in many cases they taught me a little bit more about my characters and if nothing else showed me the way the book shouldn't go!