Goodreads asked Denise Liebig:

Denise Liebig Similar to Sophia in "Dear Maude," I was once asked to write a paper about a haunted house. Although this was in high school, I remembered the challenge well and decided to use it as a way to get my creativity going. I didn't make it too far before I started to go in a different direction - the argument between Emily and Sophia ensued.

The remainder of the book was greatly influenced by a silent movie festival I saw on television. After watching several of the movies, I began to wonder about the many things that we now take for granted such as air conditioned theaters. I imagined being a fly-on-the-wall during that time, experiencing all I could about daily life in that era. This led to my researching the many influences of the people from the Gilded Age through the end of the 1920s including economics, literature, clothing, architecture and other areas people were concerned with in their daily lives. I wanted my main character to be a student of that age as well. I also prefer reading books with a strong, female character, so I incorporated that with the research I had done and created Emily Stanton - a modern girl with old-world problems.