Ami
Ami asked Michael Cunningham:

What does it feel like to have your work adapted into a film?

Michael Cunningham I may be the only living author who’s been happy with the film adaptation of his novel. It helped, of course, that the cast included some of the greatest living actors. As it did that the adaptation was done by the brilliant English playwright, David Hare.

Here’s a surprise: I found myself, on occasion, encouraging David to be less faithful to the book; to re-imagine it; to make it his own. To transport it not only into another medium but re-tell it in his own way. We already had, after all, the story told my way.

Which was probably a kind of encouragement only the author could provide.

There’s more to say about the movie, and I’d be glad to go on tomorrow if you’re interested. I’m on a book tour, I’m constantly on the move, and I’ve got to grab these bits of time whenever I can.

Yours, Michael C.
Michael Cunningham