Pamela
Pamela asked:

This is the first novel I have read that is structured in such a dominant linear fashion, like a series of "slices of life" instead of a main story with backstories and side stories. In the past I have rejected such novels because they seem too easy to create. But if anyone can master this, it would be Sue Miller. What do you all think?

To answer questions about Monogamy, please sign up.
Shirley I didn't view it as a "slice of life" way of story telling. I saw it as Miller using a omniscient narrator who jumped in and out of the sensibilities of many characters, but who spent more time in the character/sensibility of the widow, Annie. I thought it was masterfully done and I'm off to discover more books by Sue Miller. This was the first I'd read by her.
Rena I didn't experience it as linear as it jumps around in time. I also think the core marriage is the main story. I felt cradled by her writing, masterfully tying up loose ends. It has a crescendo emotionally. Maybe it's just not your kind of book.
Alicia I usually enjoy Sue Miller's work.
This book was in my opinion, not linear, at all. I had to KEEP trying to figure out the timeline & that was upsetting & too much work.
Evelyn Krieger The novel starts in the past and then goes into the present with flashbacks. It also goes into both Graham and Annie's head. As in my review, I found the author used way too much telling rather than showing and too much backstory. I gravitate more toward literary fiction, I guess.
Marti Pamela, you said in four sentences what I tried to say in a huge paragraph, and you said it better, lol. Totally agree.
Dawn Not linear to me. I was surprised when the chapter after she meets him she's been married for 30 years to him, and then suddenly she's a child again with a friend walking in a woodlot where they come upon the child molester...
Image for Monogamy