Michael
Michael asked Margaret Atwood:

When I read Cat's Eye for the first time, it resonated with something deep within me and made me think about many different episodes growing up. I always wondered what writing that novel was like for you. Do you find it emotionally draining to tap into those kinds of memories/thoughts? Do you ever find a scene too difficult to write about?

Margaret Atwood I did start to write this novel in 1964 when I was living in Vancouver, but I set it aside because it was in fact not the right time for me to attempt it. I needed to be older. I have been blessed (or the opposite) with a memory for exact physical details, so the textures of the decades in the novel were not hard for me. Textures and smells… total recall.

I ended up writing the snowiest scene in Australia, on a balmy day with kookaburras calling outside…. Sometimes time and distance can help with perspective. I was also surprised to receive many letters – once I'd published it – in which the children behaved even worse.
Margaret Atwood