Craig
Craig asked Mark Lawrence:

Hi Mark, love the series and I'm almost at the end. As a fellow author who wants to pants my way through a fantasy story but feels unsure, can you let me in a little bit on your process? I know you make it up once you've got a character but how much is just pantsed? The Broken Empire series has a number of twists that seem to be pre-planned.

Mark Lawrence I make it all up as I'm writing, but sometimes ideas will pop up that can't be used immediately.

Often what looks like long term planning is just seeing the opportunity to bring two facts together in a constructive manner.

Two thirds of the way through Emperor of Thorns I did have a rough idea of how the trilogy would end.