Goodreads asked Andrew Jonathan Fine:

Andrew Jonathan Fine Write what you know. What what you love to write. Write in your own natural storytelling format. NEVER think of writing for money.

For the longest time I was stuck trying to write with the standard 3rd person omniscient narrator formula of story telling, and quickly lost motivation after the first ten pages.

I contacted one of my mentors, Piers Anthony, for help. He suggested I write my chapters as ten pages long, as self-contained stories.

I then remembered an author, David Brin, whose Startide Rising and Heaven's Reach stories were written as short chapters in 1rst person. I followed that format, and soon found myself UNABLE to stop writing!

It wasn't hard to link more-or-less selt-contained stories with common themes, and that's how my first novel fell out.