Jamie
Jamie asked Laura Kaye:

Laura- How did you get started? Can you walk me through the process or your story of how you got published. I am always curious how authors go about this process. By the way you are AMAZING!!! You are in my top ten list, I swear I have to slow down and only allow myself to read a few chapters at a time.

Laura Kaye Hi Jamie - Thank you so much for the kind words! That makes my day! :) My journey to publication started a little strangely - in July 2008, I had a traumatic brain injury. As I started to heal, I had a new and very strong creative urge. One of the things I did was start to write my first novel, which I finished 11 weeks later (the book that became Forever Freed). After that, being a writer became a permanent part of me and I just kept writing, even as I failed to land an agent with the first book. Finally, I sold Forever Freed to the Wild Rose Press, a small romance e-publisher, and quickly thereafter sold Hearts in Darkness to them, too. In the year it took to edit and release those two, I wrote four more books, and sold 3 of them pretty much all at once to different publishers (Just Gotta Say to Decadent, North of Need to Entangled, and In the Service of the King to Harlequin Nocturne). All five of those books released with a year of each other, which helped me build a readership quick, especially because Hearts in Darkness took off pretty fast and had a lot of great word of mouth. North of Need and In the Service of the King became the first in series, so then I was busy writing those series plus I also sold the Heroes series to Entangled, too. In all, I sold 16 books to four different publishers without an agent. And then in August of 2012 when I had 8 books out, I was contacted by two New York publishers asking if I had anything to submit to them. I didn't because everything I was writing was on contract, so at that point I found an agent to help me work with these publishers and wrote a short proposal for what became the Hard Ink series, which sold to Avon in September 2012. So that was my journey. I wouldn't have attracted New York's attention without the success of my epublished books, I'm very certain of that... :) Thanks for the question!