Kristan
Kristan asked Amy Spector:

Just as Kira sprung to life from a painting in Xanadu, how do your written characters spring to life from your imagination? The song, Magic, from the film suggests that you won't make mistakes as such characters guide you by hand. Have your characters always guided you to the right destination or are they more akin to Google maps, leading you off of cliffs or into dark corridors where there is a clown waiting?

Amy Spector Thank you Kristan for this wonderful questions. Interestingly enough it was Xanadu that first inspired me to put pencil to paper.

Since birth, I had always been a sickly child, left to spend time reading in my bedroom as the other children played stickball in the street. It was a lonely existence, one I wouldn't wish on another living creature.

In the late summer of 1980, all that changed. My nursemaid Nanny Elna was quite taken with a young Michael Beck and, despite my protests, took me via streetcar to the picture show. She wanted to see that hussy Olivia Newton-John and the young Beck—whom my father, a course working class bootblack, always insisted was a Belgian—in what was being boasted as the most dazzling, musical fantasy in years. The lights went low and as I ate my Mable-Nut Goodies, procured from the local confectioner, my young mind was blown.

Just as the muses burst from the mural, the characters that had been hiding in my own mind burst forth. I lie in a comma for three months, finally awakening in an agitated state that could only be soothed by the dulcet tones of The Electric Light Orchestra.

Since those early days, I have made a conscious decision to keep my characters on a short leash. Much as Nanny Elna dragged me where she would, I make my characters do my bidding. This has saved me a great deal in time, erasers and does not excite my coulrophobia.