Rebecca Bulos
Rebecca Bulos asked Pamela Paul:

Pamela, I actually haven't read your book yet but what are you trying to tell me a potentI'll reader with your title?In short what is there for me in it?

Pamela Paul This is really a book for serious or seriously curious readers -- it's about what books the authors you like best are reading. The books they loved as children, the books that made them who they are today, the books they eagerly recommend to their best friends. What I hear most often from readers of "By the Book" is that they found themselves scribbling down title after title of books they want to get when they next go to the library. Bookstore owners have told me that customers will come in with a page of By the Book torn out from The New York Times Book Review and titles marked up. One woman told me that a customer came in with Ann Patchett's By the Book and just said, "I want every single book on this page."