Goodreads asked John Macgregor:

John Macgregor I view it like I would any other job. You have hours that you put in and you just do it. You don't call in sick, unless you are sick. You don't show up late. You do what is expected of you. If you worked for someone else then these are normal condition for any job. With writing, you are working for yourself. If you owned a shop and never showed up to open the door then you wouldn't sell much and you would be out of business very quickly. You are self employed when writing. This requires a disciplined approach to working and implies a work ethic. I don't get inspired to work. I sit down and put in some elbow grease. Once I am at my desk and sitting down then I can do other things such as put on some tunes. That helps me to focus.

As a writer, we have to understand that we are in the entertainment business. It doesn't matter if you are a musician, writer or an actor. We provide a service to our audience. The enjoyment of the production by a viewer is a very small part of the overall amount of work put into the whole thing. Watching a movie only takes a few hours. Producing a movie can take years and can involve many people. All entertainers are faced with the up-front work in order for the audience to be able to enjoy the work. Any other approach won't work. Ask any musician.